Paradise Farm Staff
132 Perkins Avenue
Dunbar, WV 25064
This job is located at our Appalachian Food Enterprise partner - Paradise Farms - which is an initiative of KISRA.
The Farm Worker is critical in helping to maintain the quality of KISRA’s Paradise Farms and the crops produced by assisting in the day to day operations of KISRA’s Paradise Farms, which may include planting, pruning, irrigating harvesting and packaging crops. This position is required to perform many physically challenging activities such as cultivating the soil, sowing crops and ensuring that weeds do not take over crops. This position reports directly to the Paradise Farm Manager. This position requires strong practical knowledge of agricultural skills, food production, and the ability to work under stress and self-motivation skills.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (DUTIES AND TASKS) AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Under the direction of the Farm Managers, assist in ensuring the proper day to day functioning and operations of all KISRA Paradise Farms operations.
• Planting, growing and harvesting of crops for sale and distribution according to established production schedules.
• Dig and plant seeds or transplant seedlings as required.
• Cultivate soil and sow crops per established production schedules.
• Construct basic frames for growing.
• Ensure that all operational areas of the farm are clean and maintained.
• Ensure that care and maintenance efforts are carried out to ensure the proper operating conditions of farm buildings, greenhouses, tools, and equipment.
• Adjust and repair farm tools and equipment and notify Farm Manager in the event of a malfunction and needed repair.
• Assist in weighing, loading, and processing crops in preparations for shipment, sale, and distribution.
• Process crops in accordance with GAP Certification standards.
• Assist with the development of production schedules and follow through as directed/indicated.
• Conduct crop production research as directed.
• Record information related to crops such as pesticide use, yields and/or costs as required.
• Communicate crop progress to Farm Manager.
• Keep Farm Manager informed of the need for the purchase of needed supplies to ensure proper farming operations that meet production expectations such as seeds, nutrients, equipment, chemicals, and other supplies.
• Follow through with and implementing daily activities of a farm as directed by Farm Manager.
• Participate in planned farm activities for program participants and volunteers.
• Adhere to all regulatory guidelines and standards regarding farms and produce/crops including GAP.
• Assist in preparing products/crops are ready for deadlines such as available markets.
• Adhere to all established health and safety standards
• Adheres to all policies and procedures of KISRA
• Attends and participates in meetings with KISRA's community partners and collaborators as required.
Participants’ personal information is not shared with anyone outside of KISRA without their signed consent. KISRA and Paradise Farms trade and operational information are not to be shared outside of the organization without prior approval of the CEO. Violation of this confidentiality can result in corrective action, up to and including dismissal according to KISRA policy and procedures.
RESOURCES AND METHODS:
The employee must know how to use a Microsoft Windows-based computer and software applications needed to perform duties (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and the Internet). The individual must be familiar with the following office equipment: copier, fax machine, shredder, and scanner. The individual must also be familiar with (or be willing to learn) alternative farming methods such as hydroponic or aeroponic farming.
Ability to maintain physical condition and stamina appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities which may include sitting, standing, and walking for extended periods of time, driving or riding in a car, bus or van and interacting with clients at the appropriate eye level or other duties as assigned. The usual requirements in an office and farm environment may require lifting boxes of supplies, equipment and occasional adjustments of office furniture and farming tools/equipment. Frequent pushing, pulling, lifting and/or moving up to 30lbs without assistance. May require tasks of performing physical activities requiring considerable use of arms and legs and movement of the entire body such as climbing, lifting, balancing and stooping.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES:
The employee must be willing to work outside in all weathers and demonstrate patience to undertake various sorts of practical, sometimes, repetitive tasks.
The employee must have reliable transportation.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS:
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to multi-task and perform each duty satisfactorily. The ideal candidate will have knowledge of practical farm operations with a broad range of farming applications.
Report to the KISRA Paradise Farms Manager.
Annual performance evaluation reviews will be conducted by the KISRA Paradise Farms Manager.
EDUCATION OR EXPERIENCE:
Required: High School education or GED equivalency. Previous hands-on farming experience including practical and technical farming knowledge.
Preferred: Experience in the not-for-profit sector and working with disadvantaged populations.
• Ability to work independently without direct supervision
• Ability to understand and carry out routine oral and written instructions.
• Willingness to gain knowledge of techniques and equipment used for planting, growing and harvesting food products for consumption including storage and handling techniques.
• Be self-motivated and able to communicate.
• Willing to be receptive to learning new technologies to help improve the productivity and profitability of the farm.
• Demonstrate initiative.
• Demonstrate Good Communication skills.
• Ability to work in a team setting.
• Demonstrate Problem Solving Skills.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and thrive in an environment with multiple priorities
• Strong work ethic
• An individual who can operate effectively with peers and other associates within a demanding work environment.
• Good common sense.
Demonstrate a passion for community and personal development;
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
All other duties as assigned by Farm Manager.
To apply email firstname.lastname@example.org with Application: Paradise Farms in the subject line.
Our Main Location
The Empowerment Center
131 Perkins Avenue
Dunbar, WV 25064
How to Contact Us
Phone: (304) 768-8924
Toll Free: (877) 34KISRA
Complete the Employee Application below and email your application,
cover letter and resume to:
*Applicants are subject to drug testing & background checks